"I Don't Care"
Mistakes: Common misjudgments and errors in managing the child which may perpetuate or intensify the problem.
- Not trying to find out what's really important for this child.
- Failing to ask what really motivates or would motivate this student, what he/she would be interested in and would like to do, and how he/she would like to approach it.
- Making the student's problems exclusively his/her own, and beginning to manifest an "I don't care" attitude toward the student.
- Reinforcing this negative behavior in either subtle or overt ways.
- Giving up on this student.
- Getting tough.
- Responding personally.
- Failing to look for tiny improvements in the student's behavior or attempts to complete tasks.