The Smart Aleck
Behavior: How exactly is my child behaving?
- Makes "funny" comments that actually go far beyond humor. And the cutting effect is intentional.
- Often rude, and usually disrespectful. Different from the smartmouth--the smart aleck's misbehavior includes both words and actions.
- Has been overindulged by adults.
- Tries to act superior to others.
- Attempts to cover an inferiority complex with this type of behavior.
- Denies, and hides from facing, the feeling of inferiority. Is fooling himself or herself—and possibly others.
- Whenever this child is wrong, he or she starts talking about being mistreated.
- Thrives on getting a reaction from others.
- Seldom says nice things about others.
- "Zaps" others as soon as they let their guard down.
- Has few positive relationships with adults.