Mistakes: What common discipline mistakes of parents may make the problem behavior worse?
- Becoming thoroughly disgusted and showing your disgust.
- Failing to deal individually with this child.
- Ignoring all requests—and calling them complaints.
- Being sarcastic.
- Becoming defensive and getting involved in arguments with your child.
- Giving unequal treatment and unequal responses to this child.
- Rejecting the validity of all criticism.
- Siding with other children against the complainer.
- Using threats or negative reinforcements.
- Constantly changing your mind to accommodate this child.
- Assuming ownership of your child's problem.