The Class Clown
Mistakes: What common discipline mistakes of parents may make the problem behavior worse?
- Overreacting to the class clown.
- Calling the family's attention to the problem.
- Trying to ignore the problem.
- Issuing threats that can't really be carried out.
- Trying to isolate the child physically in order to stop the problem.
- Feeling that the child is operating the way he or she is in order to "bug" the parent.
- Failing to see any benefits in the humor of the class clown.
- Having two standards of expectations and allowances—one for the class clown and one for other siblings.
- Failing to realize and acknowledge that his or her humor is not a negative human characteristic. It is a positive one—and can be a constructive factor in the success of an individual.
- Feeling that the child invariably enjoys being a clown and is making no real effort to change this behavior.