The Class Clown
Effects: How does my child’s behavior affect other people at home and in school?
- Attention of parent and siblings (and in school, the attention of the teacher and classmates) is constantly diverted to the class clown.
- Parent is upset by his or her inability to channel this child's energy constructively.
- Parent fears other children may begin imitating the class clown.
- Parent often becomes upset because this child is not achieving up to his or her potential.
- Other children are prevented from concentrating in school.
- Class (or whatever group this child happens to be a part of) is either entertained or disgusted by the behavior.
- A real danger can be presented by such behavior in classes or activities with tools or equipment.
- Often, other children or siblings resent the fact that the parent is spending so much time with the class clown.
- Regaining attention is difficult because some kids linger on the class clown's humor.
- Creating a serious tone in the home or classroom is difficult.